Tuesday, September 6, 2011

"Deyin ona" translation - "Tell her/him" tərcüməsi

This duet by Röya and Samir was very popular when I lived in Azerbaijan.  The lyrics aren’t exactly stunning but I thought it would be fun to translate some contemporary pop music.  Of course since Azeri has no grammatical gender it allows for a more seamless duet between singers of the opposite sex – something that translates more awkwardly in English.  The video gives one a sense of contemporary Baku, though as I watch this video now I realize how much has changed from just four years ago.  The charming yellow payphones are mostly gone, the fabulous Soviet modernist Hotel Absheron has been demolished, and the bustle of marshrutka vans has been reduced with the importation of buses from China.


Deyin ona
Tell her/him

Deyin ona son məktubundan hər şeyi anladım,
Deyin ona mənim adımdan men bağışladim,
Deyin ona qayıtmasın mənim yanıma,
Əvəz olunar
Tell her/him I understood everything from her/his last letter,
Tell her/him for me that I have forgiven
Tell her/him not to come back to me
She/He will be replaced

Deyin ona men inanmıram o məni axtarır,
Deyin ona men bacarmiram - gözlər yaşarır,
Deyin ona məni tapsın mənim qəlbimdə,
Əvəz olunmaz
Tell her/him that I don’t believe she/he is looking for me,
Tell her/him that I can’t – my eyes well up,
Tell her/him to find me in my heart,
She/He won’t be replaced

Nə qədər desəm de,
Ne qədər dözsəm de,
Bu ürək onundur,
Deyin ona
No matter how much I say,
No matter how much I suffer,
This heart is hers/his,
Tell her/him

Deyin ona dünən bu vaxtı çoxlu ağladım,
Deyin ona gecə şəklini mən qucaqladım,
Deyin ona səhərləri gecələr aldı
Mənim əlimdən
Tell her/him this time yesterday I cried so much,
Tell her/him I’ve embraced her/his picture at night,
Tell her/him the nights have seized the mornings
From me

Deyin ona mən də istədim onunla olam,
Deyin ona mən de sarıldım tənha otağa,
Deyin ona qayıtmasın ötən anlara
Tell her/him I also wanted to be with her/him
Tell her/him I have also bound myself to a lonesome room,
Tell her/him not to return to the moments of the past

No comments:

Post a Comment