Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Ala Göz" Translation

The standard version of this song was popularized by Rəşid Behbudov, one of the most remarkable musical talents of modern Azerbaijan.  However, I first heard this song four years ago in a rendition by Şövkət Ələkbərova.  As far as I know the verses at the beginning were written by her or were written especially for her.  (If anyone knows more, please comment below.)  Her voice seems to directly express the longing (həsrət) and sorrow (dərd) of the lyrics.  I am a big fan of Şövkət Ələkbərova and I hope to translate more of her songs in the future.

I have attempted to translate the lyrics as I found them here.  I am not entirely certain that the lyrics transcribed on that blog are accurate, particularly the word "sovulub" in the line "O kimin eşqinlə elə sovulub."  This is a rough attempt that barely conveys the poetic beauty of the original Azeri with its rich vocabulary for expressing the pain of a lost love.  I would appreciate any suggestions, particularly since this is the first time I have ever tried to translate poetry.

Ala Göz

Sənin gətirdiyin bir dəstə çiçək
Saralıb solubdur, ata bilmirəm
Gecəli gündüzü bu həsrət ürək
Elə kövrəlir ki yata bilmirəm
Doğrusu, yorubdur məni bu halım
Dərdlərin əlindən bəs harada qalım
Elə bir qanadlı quşdur xəyalım
Əl edib mən onu tuta bilmirəm 
Deyilər yollarda vüsal görünür
O kimin eşqinlə elə sovulub
Mənim uçun küləyə şimşəyə dönüb
Qaçıram ardınca, çata bilmirəm

Kirpiklərin oxdur, qaşın kamandır, qaşın kamandır
Gözəl məndən üz döndərmə amandır
Həsrətinlə hər zaman, Həsrətinlə hər zaman
Gözüm qaldı bu yollarda ay ala göz
Ala göz, ala göz, ala göz
Gözüm qaldı bu yollarda ay ala göz

Hazel Eyes

The bouquet that you brought
Withered yellow, I cannot throw away
Night and day this longing heart
Languishes so much that I can not sleep
Truly, I am wearied by my condition
Distraught with sorrows, where should I remain?
My dream is a pinioned bird
Flapping I still cannot catch it
On no path will our meeting appear
Oh whose love you have destroyed
For me it transformed to wind and lightning
I run after but I can never reach it

Your eyelashes are arrows, your brow a bow, your brow a bow
Turning away your beautiful face from me is a mercy
With longing forever more, with longing forever more
From your path I could not look away, oh hazel eyes
Hazel eyes, hazel eyes, hazel eyes
From your path I could not look away, oh hazel eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment